In an imperfect world that is filled with chaos, disorganization, forgetfulness, and mistakes, it is perfectly ordinary for people to lose their keys.
And although it cannot be coined as ordinary, stolen keys are an inevitable occurrence amongst Americans. Yet, when it comes to keys, the words “lost” and “stolen” take on a completely different meaning for locksmiths. During a typical day at Roslyn Locksmiths, lost and stolen are used more frequently than any other words and are “normal.” Our professional technicians have heard it all and seen it all, which is why we are making it our mission to ensure our customers and fellow Long Islanders understand just how serious lost or stolen keys are.
What’s the Big Deal?
Hopefully there isn’t a big deal and it will not become one. Lost or stolen keys doesn’t just result in aggravation and frustration, with a touch of expense. When you lose your keys or they are stolen, it means the safety and security of you, your loved-ones, home/car, and possessions is in jeopardy. You have to view this situation as a worst-case scenario, in order to protect yourself. You may have no idea where your keys are at all or you may believe you threw them out, or perhaps some punk teenager took them as a prank. Regardless of their whereabouts, you have to assume they fell into the wrong hands and whomever has them could try to break in, steal things, or be a greater threat to you.
What Do I Do?
In the event that you lose your keys or they are stolen:
- The very first thing you should do is make sure you are okay. From emotional composure, mental clarity, and away from any physical harm… your safety comes first.
- Call a professional locksmith and explain what happened.
- The locksmith will urge you to change your locks, which you should do.
- During the visit, your locksmith will discuss your options in regards to installing new locks or having your existing ones rekeyed. This is a decision you will make with your locksmith.
- Inform any other individual who has the key that the locks are being changed.
- Discard any of the old keys.
- Have new duplicate keys made.
- Be aware/on alert to ensure no one tries to get into your car/house.
We guarantee to make a chaotic time, much more bearable. Our team of expert locksmiths will walk you through each step of the process, with thorough explanations, and answering any questions you may have. Most importantly, all of our locksmiths are licensed and insured, giving you the peace of mind to know you can trust us and depend on us. If you have any questions or concerns, you can call us 24 hours a day.